The Cross River State capital is fast becoming kidnappers’ paradise as many Nigerians resident in the city are crying out over the alarming rate of kidnappings.
They disclosed that just this week alone, over 9 persons have been abducted from various locations in the city, with the state government appearing to be completely hapless and out of control.
Some even alleged that a waterleaf hawker was also kidnapped and N50,000 ransom demanded. They feared that at this point no one in Calabar is safe, as anyone could be abducted at any time.
They, however, shifted blames to the state government over its handling of security issues. Some also alleged that kidnappers arrested in the past were set free through the influence of some state government appointees. This, they said, had greatly discouraged and impeded the effort of security personnel in bringing the situation under control.
In view of the foregoing, they are now calling on the Federal Government to intervene as the state government had been compromised and incapable of restoring law and order in the city.
Nigerians have taken to social media to shower praises on the Federal Government’s MSME Payroll Support Scheme as beneficiaries share their testimonies.
President Muhammadu Buhari had on Wednesday disclosed on his official Twitter handle that 101,567 beneficiaries drawn from 16,253 businesses had received their first monthly payment from the Federal Government’s Payroll Support Programme.
The Programme is a Survival Fund COVID-19 Relief initiative put in place to support qualifying MSMEs with staff salaries for 3 months. The salaries range from N30,000 to N50,000 for firms with 3 staff and above.
Some, however, expressed regret that they did not apply, thinking the scheme was a hoax. They appealed to the Federal Government to give them a second chance so they could apply.
But apart from the survival fund, there are other social empowerment and intervention programmes of government that are currently ongoing. Those who missed out on the survival fund due to disbelief can take advantage of the ongoing ones.
Peter Obi and James Nwafor
The People’s Democratic Party Vice Presidential Candidate in 2019 and former Anambra State governor, Mr Peter Obi, and CSP James Nwafor have been dragged out to answer for the alleged atrocities and extrajudicial killings that took place in Anambra when both men were at the helm of affairs.
They alleged that CSP Nwafor who was the Commander of the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS), Awkuzu, had carried out several extrajudicial killings right under the nose of Mr Peter Obi, who was then the governor.
They said it now behoves on Anambra State to ensure that the duo faces justice.
The Minister of Finance, Zainab Ahmed, has assured Nigerians that the incremental changes to Nigeria’s tax laws do not mean that there will be an increase in taxes.
The Minister gave the assurance after the Federal Executive Council approved the Finance Bill 2020.
She explained that the bill will ensure improvements in tax laws while reducing some taxes for small and medium enterprises.
She further disclosed that the 2019 Finance Bill actually reduced taxes from 30% to 20% for businesses with a turnover of between N25 million and N100 million.
Many who reacted to the news hailed the Federal Government for making the clarification while appealing to the minister to also work on the illegal tax imposed on those transporting goods and services on the highway by security personnel.
They also said that the communication gap between the government and the people on such people-friendly policies was too wide, adding that the information ought to be pushed to every nook and cranny.