CHIBOK GIRLS: Seven Years After, FG’s Lip Service Continues

Seven years ago on 14 April 2014, 276 schoolgirls were kidnapped in government secondary school Chibok, a town in Borno State Nigeria by the deadly terrorist group, Boko Haram.

Some of the girls escaped on their own, while others were later released but over 100 of the Chibok girls remain in capitivity

In its yearly manner, the Nigerian Presidency released a statement on Wednesday reassuring parents and all concerned citizens that the missing students of Chibok remain constantly on the minds of government.

In the statement signed by Senior Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu; the Presidency claimed that the release of the remaining Chibok girls is still work in progress.

It read: “No one is giving up hope here. Efforts to secure their release through various channels and activities of the security and intelligence agencies remain on course. The recent decisive push by the military against the terrorists gives hope that a breakthrough is possible and could happen anytime soon.”

If the hypocrisy in this statement by Mr. Shehu is not obvious enough, then the fact that the Presidency had to wait till late night to release a statement on the 7th year anniversary of the Chibok girls’ abduction easily gives the government away.

But, the blinding falsity does not stop there.

Till date, no one has been arrested, questioned or prosecuted over the abduction which has attracted global attention.

To make matters worse, the lack of government sincerity and willpower to seek justice in the case of the Chibok girls kidnap has further encouraged many more of such attacks.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:   INSECURITY: Governors Beg Buhari, Demand Meeting

On February 19, 2018 at 5:30 pm, 110 schoolgirls aged 11–19 years old were kidnapped from the Government Girls’ Science and Technical College (GGSTC). Dapchi, Yobe State with Boko Haram claiming responsibility.

Five schoolgirls died on the same day of their kidnapping, but all others were released in March 2018 except the lone Christian girl Leah Sharibu who has refused to abandon her faith and convert to Islam.

On the night of Friday 11 December 2020, hundreds of gunmen broke into seven dormitories, rounding up 300 students at the Government Science Secondary School in Kankara, Kastina state and marching them to an unknown destination.

The students were held in captivity for six nights until their release on 17 December 2020.

Just a month later on 17 February 2021, 27 students from the Government Science Secondary School in Kagara, Niger state, were abducted by gunmen from their dormitory in the early hours of the morning. The students were released 10 days later on 27 February.

A day before that release, On 26 February, hundreds of schoolgirls were abducted from Government Girls Secondary School in Jangebe, Zamfara state. After four days in captivity, 279 of the students were released on 2 March.

In March 2021, two different schools were attacked in Kaduna state, northwest Nigeria, including the Federal College of Forestry Mechanization where 30 students were seized.

In summary, over 100 Chibok girls and many others from various attacks on schools remain in capitivity with terrorists; no arrests have been made on any of the occasions yet the government wants Nigerians and the rest of the world to believe that it is in control of the situation.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:   BREAKING! CBN To Freeze Minister Isa Pantami’s Bank Account

This is nothing more than a falasy.

By Seun Awosika



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *